Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Interview: Maggie Brown

It's been awhile since we started this feature and so far have only featured one artist, but all that's about to change. I've already got more than a couple interviews backlogged and have more promised to come. Today we feature local artist Maggie Brown.

1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer. For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later. Is there such a defining moment for you?

Yes! I share a home town (Ferriday, LA) with Jerry Lee Lewis. My parents took me to his concert in the local high school gym when I was 5. Until then, the only live music I had experienced was in Baptist church. Needless to say--this was a lot different. I remember having goose bumps from head to toe. And deep down realizing that "real" music had a profound effect on me

2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to? Who are some of your favorites?

I listen to all kinds of music. Right now--Miranda Lambert....Audioslave...Benjy Davis Project...Delbert McClinton... Buddy Miller. It changes week to week. Old stuff and new stuff.

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?

Hard to pick a favorite moment. I believe that all our experiences lead us to the next... There were moments recording my record that were immeasurable... but most of my favorite moments are from playing live. Connecting with people is so important as an artist.

4. Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to? How much can music influence current events?

How could I not belive that music can change the world? I know a certain song can transform me at a given moment when I hear it. It can make my day meaningful, or remind me of someone from long ago. Mostly listening to music reminds me that's there is more to life than what is going on in my personal world. I think that's what we all need-to think on a grander scale then everyday life.

5. How has technology affected the music industry? How has technology affected your career as a musician?

This interview is a great example of how technology has affected the music industry. I have never been fortunate enough to travel as much as I would like to with my music. People from all over the world have reached out to me. And for example...I have always beaten myself up over not having a "successful" music career. After listening to xm radio for a few days, I realized that there are great artists out there who never taste stardom. That alone gives me peace about music. And I'm happy that anyone is listening to my stuff. That, for me, has become success.

6. Now for my Barbara Walters question: If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?

Ha Ha...I've been known more for performing without shoes than with them! I can narrow it down to 2 pair: my cowboy boots, and my platform go-go boots. Those are definitely me, in one way or another.

No comments: