Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Simply Six: Savio Rego

Savio Rego is an artist from San Francisco and Berlin.

1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer. For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later. Is there such a defining moment for you?
Peoples Reactions - I performed at several open mic, little shows in cafes and wine bars performing cover songs and a couple songs I wrote merely to test the reaction it would have on the audience. The reaction was people would come up to me after the show and ask if I had a CD for sale. That was the defining moment for me.


2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to? Who are some of your favorites?
Recently I've been listening to new material of Sade, John Mayer, Lionel Richie, Norah Jones as well as a lot of Lounge music by various artists and then the occasional radio stuff when I'm driving.

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?
Listening to my music on Commercial Radio. As of 1 week now, my song "Miss You" is played on BB Radio in Brandenburg, Germany.

4. Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to? How much can music influence current events?
Certainly, as a music lover and listener, it has changed things in my world. I think it's a very powerful and an effective way to communicate. For instance, listen to "Heal the World" by Michael Jackson and you realize it has a deeper message and crosses the boundaries of music made for just entertainment. So I say music can have a great impact on listeners if the contents resonate.

5. How has technology affected the music industry? How has technology affected your career as a musician?
Immensely, you can pretty much find new listeners and make new fans online with social media and other online outlets such as blogs, podcasts and so on. I would attribute as little as 100% of my success to technology. From starting a little myspace music page to growing by fan base to networking to touring in Germany to hearing my music on Commercial Radio, all happened via the Internet. Of course it's the people that make it happen for you but without technology you wouldn't even find these people. The only downside is there is a plethora of music these days and with so many choices and options you really have to have something that would make a new listener want to invest their time listening to your music. And the answer is simply.....good music, So I think if you can start it right by writing music that will resonate with people, from there technology can work in remarkable ways.

6. Now for my Barbara Walters question: If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?
Flip-Flops