Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Simply Six: Heather Edwards


Heather Edwards is a singer/songwriter from New York.

1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer.  For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later.  Is there such a defining moment for you?
When I was 6 1/2 years old my parents bought a piano.  I was trying to play a song but it wasn't going the way I thought it should or wanted it to.  I asked my Mother what the problem was and she explained that I had to take piano lessons.  My Father was a high school math teacher and asked his students if any of them had a piano teacher that they really liked.  One girl told him that she had a piano teacher and she really liked her and that is how my parents found my piano teacher.  After my first lesson I ran to the piano once we got home and tried to play the song.  I exclaimed to my parents that the piano lesson didn't work.  They told me I needed to take more than one lesson and so I kept going back.  Four months later I gave my first recital (playing at a fourth year level, which I didn't know was a big deal at the time).  After that performance I was on Cloud 9 and knew that a pianist/performer was what I would be 'when I grew up'.


2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some of your favorites?
Instead of generating a random (and very extensive) list of artists that I love to listen to, I've created alphabetical listing just for fun (but not a complete listing by any means)!

Aerosmith
Beatles
Chet Baker
Damned
Eurythmics
Fleetwood Mac
George Gershwin
Heart
India.Arie
Journey
Kronos Quartet
Led Zepplin
Meatloaf
Nat King Cole
Ozzy Osbourne
Prince
Queen
Rush
Stevie Wonder
Tom Waits
U2
Van Halen
Who
Xavier Rudd
Zappa

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?
It is really hard to say I've only had one greatest moment.  However, one of the highlights was a show that I gave when I was 18 years old - my Senior Recital.  The first hour was Classical music in chronological order based on when it was composed and ended with a piece I composed.  The second hour I came out with a rock band and we played an hour of songs I had written.  I loved the complete change in mood and the crowd had a great time.


4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to?   How much can music influence current events?
I believe that music has power that we may sometimes either be unaware of and/or take for granted.  Music therapy has been proven to heal.  Lyrics have inspired and taught people around the world about major events.  Music fundraisers are events that can help raise awareness and funds for medical research, disaster relief and other important causes.


5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology affected your career as a musician?
I believe that technology has been a blessing and a curse.  Because of the internet, music is more available and accessible to people around the world.  Music searches and social networking have helped my music reach people globally whereas without the internet, I don't know that I'd have fans in places like India, Ireland and Bulgaria.  The downside of the technology is that music is easier to steal and has put traditional record stores out of business.  I read that it was estimated that because of online piracy and illegal sales of copyrighted works on the artists who create them, artists lost $12.5 BILLION and 71,060 jobs last year.  Those are pretty terrifying statistics.


6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?
If I were a pair of shoes I would be the most flattering, comfortable, never-go-out-of-style pair.  These shoes would be the kind that a person would do anything to keep around because this paid of shoes is her absolute, 
can't-do-without favorite!
 

No comments: