Monday, September 27, 2010

Simply Six: In The Cinema

In The Cinema are from Minneapolis.

1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they
knew they wanted to be a singer.  For many it was the appearance of Elvis on
the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance
on Sullivan half a decade later.  Is there such a defining moment for you?
Ryan:  When I was 16, my super cool hippie friend Rachel introduced me to Cat Stevens...I remember hearing "Father and Son" for the first time and was almost paralyzed...I still get goosebumps when I listen to him sing...I didn't start writing songs until years later, but this was definitely when I fell in love with the voice, and how powerful it can be.



2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some
of your favorites?
Ryan:  Otis ReddingTracy ChapmanThe TheRay LaMontagneNeil FinnGlen Phillips, Morrissey...these are just a few of my favorites...Lately I've been listening to new albums from The Swell SeasonPeter Wolf Crier (shout out to Mpls!), Cold War Kids...the Crowded House album "Time On Earth", I think I've listened to that every day for the past couple of weeks...maybe because it's been raining a lot lately in Minneapolis. 

Joe: STS9, Louis Armstrong, GLK, Genesis, Aphex TwinRJD2 Prefuse 73, a lot of Minneapolis hip hop (Rhymesayers and such), classic rock (Boston, Kansas), Mayor Hawthorne’s “Green Eyed Love,” Kid Cudi’s Man On The Moon, MF Doom, Madlib, Nat King ColeFlying LotusPatsy ClineA Tribe Called QuestBobby Womack, etc.


3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on
record or live?
Ryan:  Joe and I finished our first album ("The Illness Project") in the Spring of 2007...I was absolutely desperate to get out of the studio and play music for as many people as possible, so we decided to just jump off a ledge and go for it...We subletted our apartments, booked 26 shows on our own, and put 7500 miles on the Oldsmobile on our first tour!  It was absolutely amazing, seeing a new city every day, playing to new people every night...It was incredible, and it really made me feel like a "real" musician...Nothing beats playing live.

Joe: I would say touring was most definitely the most fun and exciting experience also. As far as overall musical live greatest moment I would have to say our cd release for “The Illness Project” at The Bryant Lake Bowl here in Minneapolis. The whole night was on point with us as a band as well as the people that came to see us. One of my favorite venues.



4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen
to?   How much can music influence current events?
Ryan:  I definitely think music has the ability to move people, and certainly can be used as a catalyst for change, especially on a personal level...As a songwriter, I do believe that connecting with a listener, and bringing some sense of understanding is huge...For me, it's an absolute necessity...not to cure or change anyone, but to connect and relate...If someone can hear me sing or be moved by something I've written, there's nothing more satisfying.

Joe: Music for me is more than something I just listen to to pass time. I know I listen to different types of music depending on how or what I’m feeling at that time…So, yes, to a certain extent  I think music does play a part in shaping the world and the future of our country.
As far as current events go, I’ve been to live shows in the past where the bands have a strong political agenda either in lyrics or in between songs and I think the fans do listen to what they say so it definitely is influential in that sense.



5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology
affected your career as a musician?
Ryan:  For us as a band, technology has been awesome...We do a lot of looping, and incorporate some electro beats and samples in our live set, so being able to add those elements has been very fun...Also,  recording programs are so user-friendly, which is great for broke indie bands like us...We recorded most of our new album by ourselves, and you can get a great-sounding album, which was not a possibility when I started recording about 10 years ago...On the downside, technology can really snuff out your creative candle if you let it...About a year ago, I began tackling the online world, as far as promotion and marketing...just typing those words really creeps me out...It can be dangerous, the business side as an indie artist can really consume your time if you let it...But staying in touch with all of the new stuff going on is just something you have to do...However, if 90 percent of my time is spent doing non-creative business junk, then I get burned out very quickly, and don't feel like an artist...I have to remind myself to just pick up the guitar and sing just as much as I work on booking, promo, and online stuff...Continually creating is key.


6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what
type of shoes would you be?
Ryan:  An old pair of brown patent leather thrift store oxfords...much like a 70s creepy insurance salesman would wear...I know, nothing but class.

Joe: A fresh pair of Nike’s. I suppose that’s the difference between me and Ryan…






No comments: