Saturday, September 11, 2010

Simply Six: The On Fires

The On Fires are from Australia.


1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer.  For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later.  Is there such a defining moment for you?
 [Context: This is written by Max, the girl in the band] Yep, I was sitting on a terrace of the ancient Inca site of Macchu Picchu high up in the Andes mountains ofPeru. I'd had a gruelling 6 day trek to get there, during which I thought I was going to die. But I reached that incredible place - now silent & serene with the vista of the world at its feet, & I had an epiphany: I have to leave my husband & I have to sing. So I did.

2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some of your favorites?
Nick CavePolyphonic SpreeThe Living EndWolfmotherBlondie, Kaiserchiefs, & Martha Wainwright's song that has "you motherfucking asshole" in it. I love high energy (most of the time), fun & theatrics. I also love intelligent lyrics & storytelling (a la Nick Cave).  

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?
The first time we played to a punk audience. It happened to be in Ukraine (former USSR) with one of that country's punk legends (a guy called Sasha Pipa) in 2007. We'd never experienced slam dancing, crowd surfing & young men ripping their shirts off before! It changed us irreversibly. The burst of adrenalin we received lasted days & had us climbing speaker stacks, leaping off the stage & throwing ourselves around in a way that had never occurred to us before. It put some punk into our rock & we haven't looked back!
 
4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to?   How much can music influence current events?
This question makes me think of that Scorpions song 'Wind of Change' & the impact that song had during the downfall of the Berlin Wall. It galvanised people & highlighted an incredible historic event. And of course Nirvana changed the world - sweeping the homo-erotic big-hair bands off the face of the planet (well, almost). Not that I have anything against big-haired rock!

And need I mention Bob Marley & even Green Day having the balls to desecrate the US flag & sing 'American Idiot'? Yes, I do believe music can change the world.Midnight Oil (the lead singer of which is now an Australian politician) played an enormous role in exposing social justice issues to the kids of Australia. Music is very very powerful!

5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology affected your career as a musician?
Technology has made it possible for us to tour internationally for extended periods of time. I have visions of AC/DC sending off cassette tapes & having expensive international phone calls. Instead we can send our music all over the world at the click of a button & we have Skype! We can organise gigs, hotel rooms & musicians from anywhere in the world - with information at our fingertips. And of course, social networking allows us to have a direct relationship with our fans. That's the best bit - I love talking to people on our Facebook fanpage!
 
6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?
Doc Marten boots. Tough, practical, a tad unconventional for a 'nice girl' from Melbourne, they travel well & will go anywhere. 

No comments: