Saturday, September 18, 2010

Simply Six: Parker Estopinal

Parker Estopinal is a singer/songwriter from Georgia.

1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer.  For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later.  Is there such a defining moment for you?
-I don't think I have really had a defining moment. Music has always been something that defines me and who I am, and I don't recall ever not wanting to write music. But if I had to choose a moment, it would probably be the 20 minutes my dad spent teaching me how to play a scale. If It wasn't for my dad, I probably wouldn't be playing music at all. 

2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some of your favorites?
-When I'm not creating music, What I listen too pretty much goes all over the place. It's unpredictable. Some of my Favorites include Son House, Bright Eyes, Tera Melos, The Cave Singers, Motion City Soundtrack and the Barenaked Ladies.

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?
-Well, so far, I would say that my best moment as an artist came when I was in the shower, and a song started playing in my head. I don't know where it came from, it was not an official song written by anyone. I had literally just created a song in the blink of an eye in the shower without any instruments. I immediately got out of my shower, played the song, and i recorded it. That song is Loveless Lust. 

4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to?   How much can music influence current events?
- Music has done a lot, Said a lot, and has had a very big impact on the lives of many people, including mine. I can't really tell you weather I do or weather I don't believe that it can change the world, but I would to find out for myself. 
5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology affected your career as a musician?
-Technology is making it easier for Musicians to get their name out there, which is really a revolution in the music industry. Instead of labels going to shows and looking for bands to sign, they can just pick and choose (although I wish that technology had less of a grasp on music than it already does). Technology has helped me because it has become so much easier to quickly record random songs that I write before I forget them. It is more Convenient. But if you post your album on the World Wide Web, and you are actually a GOOD musician, have fun trying to pay your bills, because people either want free music, or no music. 

6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?
- I would be a pair of green Sperry's.