Sunday, September 26, 2010

Simply Six: Rhythm Child

Rhythm Child are from California.  



1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer.  For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later.  Is there such a defining moment for you?
  I would have to say the emergence of The Jackson 5 in the early 70’s would be the one thing that totally changed my life and connected me to music.  Like every other kid with an afro growing up in America, I thought that I could dance, sing and look exactly like young Michael.  I slowly realized that I wasn’t even close to his talent level, but what was important was that I was inspired to perform.  My Mom recognized my passion and continued to buy me everyJackson 5 album that came out from the first to the last.




2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some of your favorites?
  I still enjoy my CD collection a lot and I really miss all of my vinyl that I lost in a recent fire so that should give you an idea of my musical tastes.  For the most part I listen to classic Reggae and old Rhythm & Blues.  I feel a very deep connection to the country roots of both types of music and it keeps me grounded and creative.  Artists like Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Etta James, Bob Marley and Burning Spear are truly inspirational to me and have been constant companions for most of my life.  As far as current music, there are so many independent artists out there and I love being exposed to all of the new sounds through internet radio and features like yours.





3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?

 I can honestly say that the most satisfying and emotionally rewarding moments of my life as a musician have been sharing this journey with my family. My son Bailey is 9 and Andre is 4 and it’s amazing to watch them come out on stage and take complete control of an audience in their own special ways.  One of my all-time favorite experiences with them was a benefit concert for The Children’s Miracle Network in Washington DC when we played on theNational Mall.  At one point during the show I just had to stop and take it all in.  There I was performing with my boys at the base of the Washington Monumenton Memorial Day and seeing my WWII veteran father out in the audience proudly watching us do our thing.  It was a very inspirational moment for me as a musician, as a dad and as a son.





4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to?   How much can music influence current events?
 You look at something like “We Are the World” or the recent concerts for Haiti; it is very clear how much social power there is in the melody of songs.  Music can carry messages for the people that don’t have a voice and can connect others that share a common cause.  It helps keep things in perspective and offers relief when people need it most.  No matter if it’s inspiring hope or demanding change, music has been and always will be an influential aspect of our society.






5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology affected your career as a musician?
  Technology has opened up the music industry to independent artists like me in a way that didn’t exist ten years ago. The playing field has been drastically leveled and now it’s possible for musicians to create their art for less money and have worldwide access to potential fans.  I’m not a gear-head, but I have obtained enough equipment over the last few years to work on my projects from home.  Mostly I do the pre-production and editing in my studio and go into the bigger places for the actual recording.  I still love the feeling of being in a studio and working with real musicians.  There is something special about the exchange of energy that happens with live recording and I never want to totally lose that.  On the flip-side, technology has given us so many tools to use that has made it easier to create and distribute music so I try to utilize as much of that as possible.




6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?

 If I was a shoe I would be a hiking boot because boots are reliable, versatile, protective and rugged.  Because I love nature so much being a hiking bootwould be perfect and make me feel right at home.





No comments: