Thursday, September 16, 2010

Simply Six: Ruby Rendgrag

Ruby Rendrag is a singer/songwriter from New Orleans.

1.     For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer.  For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later.  Is there such a defining moment for you?

My defining moment as a musician was on my living room floor in 1997 (late bloomer). Although I started playing guitar when I was 9, it didn't occur to me that one could select being a musician as a career. Get a real job right? I didn't own a guitar at the time, but I heard a Dave Matthews song (back when I used to listen to the radio) and got the itch to try to learn it. "How the heck was he playing that??" It's what I used to do with Zeppelin when I was a kid, and it was a pain in the a** to move that needle to just the right spot on the record to learn a part! So, I bought a guitar, learned that DMB song, which sparked my own writing, and now I'll be working on my third album this year.

2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some of your favorites?

Right now, my favorite artist is Aimee Mann. Her lyrics blow me away as does the production on her latest album, "Smilers." The other disk that stays in my car is local New Orleans' indie rock singer/songwriter, Mary Lasseigne (or LaSang)'s, debut album "Mary Jane and the Brain Surgeon."


3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?

My greatest, or most memorable moment, was opening for Heart at the House of Blues. I'm hoping my next album will be equally as fulfilling.

4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to?   How much can music influence current events?

I believe music speaks to people on a level beyond conversation. I think, mostly, people are looking for something that hits the bullseye of what they feel on that unspoken level. When they find it, they also tap into a longed-for connection. The same goes for any type of artistic expression. Can it change the world or does it affect current events? Possibly. The only thing I know for sure, is music has affected and changed me.

5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology affected your career as a musician?

I'm not so sure technology has affected music as much as it appears. I'm not really sure. All I know, is the sea of music on the internet is the same as the sea of music that used to be in record stores. How do you stand out as an artist? Get in front of people and share your living energy as much as possible. The internet will never be able to replace the feeling of being at a live performance. We're all beings and need that in-person exchange. I feel the affect of convenience when it comes to my career. Finding out of town clubs to play is much easier! Still, and again, face to face meetings will always get more attention.

6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?

What kind of shoes would I be?? Black, cheap, old and comfortable, or depending on my mood; black, shiny, knee-high go go boots