Monday, September 13, 2010

Simply Six: Starfire

Starfire are a band from California.

1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer.  For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivanshow, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later.  Is there such a defining moment for you?
I was five years old when I knew that I wanted to be a musician; what made me get serious about learning the craft was watching a performance by Jake E. Lee, the guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne on his "Bark at the Moon" and "Ultimate Sin" albums.  There was a home video release by CBS/FOX called "The Ultimate Ozzy" in which Lee is playing this incredible guitar solo.  Watching it recently on YouTube, I am still in awe.

2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some of your favorites?

Sirius-XM Channels 15, "Classic Rewind," 19, "The Boneyard" and 23, "Hair Nation" is what I usually have on in the car.  To the opposite extreme, I listen to a lot ofsmooth jazz on the Live365 channel for Mission Viejo's KSBR 88.5 FM at work.  I don't get much time as I used to for listening to music at home but I'll alternate between VH-1 Classic and which ever CD I'm hooked on at the moment.  These days, I'll listen to either Infestation by Ratt or the Kings of Los Angeles by Motley Crüe.


3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?

Each performance and recording I do strikes me as better than my last, so I'd have to say my most recent solo performance with the Java with Javelyn music festival this past April in Santa Monica.  But I have a pretty good feeling about my show in Studio City coming up at the Aura Nightclub.  We are going to rock!


4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to?   How much can music influence current events?
I'm of the opinion that art imitates life and I think that people listen to the music that reminds them of a situation.  I know that some people write some lyrics to bring about a change, but the only people who want to listen to that are those whom already agree with them.  This is a big reason why it is I sing about love; the joy and the pain it can bring.  Everyone can relate to that.  Almost everyone has found themselves wanting someone.  Or perhaps wanting someone who didn't want them back.  Hearing someone else sing about your plight or your happiness brings a feeling of connectedness that if you can't get from friendship, you can get from a song.

5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology affected your career as a musician?
If it weren't for the home digital recording technology revolution of the 1990s, it wouldn't have been possible for me to do what I'm doing.  On the marketing side of things, while I've yet to convert exposure into dollars and cents, it still makes sense to me to reach out using social media because the make the number of contacts that you can make online in real life would take years.  Luckily, I'm not looking to be an overnight sensation, but, instead, staying power.  The band Kansas didn't really break into mainstream rock until years after their first album, but to this day, people know the songs Dust in the Wind or Carry On My Wayward Son.  That's my goal.

6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?

I'm from California and I love the beach, so it would have to be thongs.

No comments: