Thursday, November 18, 2010

Simply Six: The Dysfunctional Family Jazz Band

1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer.  For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later.  Is there such a defining moment for you?

Patty: I knew I wanted to be a singer when I started singing in nursery school and every one stared at me cause my voice was pretty good and certainly loud for a 4 year old kid.  Music has been my main focus through out my life, and I knew it was what I always wanted to do. It didn’t matter as much to be a performer, as to just have it in every particle of my days. Also, I really wanted to be Annette Funicello on the Mickey Mouse Show, cause I loved her singing!
Melissa: I was on the beach in Mexico and someone taught me how to sing Gracias a La Vida – it made me weep and I wanted to be able to do that, to share that level of emotion.

2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some of your favorites?
Patty: I am very eclectic, but I love to listen to women singers, and great songwriters. SO, here are a few: from Billy Holiday, to Sharon Jones, Bob Dylan to Alison Krauss, Miles Davis, to Esperanza Spaulding.  Abdulla Ibrahim…..
Melissa: Miriam Makeba, Taj Mahal, Carmen McRae, Rosa Passos, Lee Morgan, Silvio Rodriguez, Bonnie Raitt

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?
Patty: Singing my children to sleep and awake again!
Melissa: I got to sing with Mundell Lowe, and he recorded with Sarah Vaughan and Carmen McRae and played with Billie Holiday – it gave me such a thrill.

4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to?   How much can music influence current events?
 Patty: Music has already changed the world from promoting peace, revolution, work, dancing, solitary reflection, social communion, joy, sadness, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.
Melissa: I would say look at Woody Guthrie, the Civil Rights Movement, and South Africa. There is an amazing film called "Amandla! A revolution in four part harmony." It's all about the power of music to affect change.

5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology affected your career as a musician?
 Patty: The industry is in freefall and that is good and bad.  I think that many doors have opened for the everyday musician, and that has brought us more musical diversity than what A&R execs might decide is commercial, but I really miss record stores. I like to browse in real feel. I do love the accessibility of most any music with a few keystrokes of the keyboard. Who could resist this wealth of songs!
Melissa: The sound quality has gone downhill. We need a Vinyl revolution.

6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?
Patty: My favorite shoes ever were low heeled gold strappy shoes from Sweden (cause Swedish Women have big damn feet like me!), built for sexy comfort and ready to haul an amp, walk on and into adventure, dance on stage!  So, make me them!
Melissa: Flip-Flops - easy to take off. I prefer to be barefoot. 


No comments: