Sunday, September 11, 2011

Simply Six: Leslie Cours Mather


1.  Is there such a defining moment for you?

I don't remember a time when I did not sing and write songs.  My father is my musical inspiration and whenever he introduced me to a new song or artist, it immediately spoke to me.  I could remember whole songs or themes or grooves after a first hearing.  I thought everyone could.  My mother used to say, "If they would put math and science to music you would have straight A's".  I begged my parents for piano, singing, acting and dance lessons.  When they let me start piano at age 8, I zipped through the book, wanting something more interesting.  I wasn't allowed to take singing lessons until I was older.  So I wrote and sang my own songs and made the best of it.  I practiced singing and playing along with my records.  Later, I was fortunate to have both piano and voice teachers who understood pop music and how to accompany yourself.  That was the best foundation I could have asked for.  Very few people were teaching this—I guess it wasn’t in line with piano curriculums.

2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?  Who are some of your favorites?

Dora the Explorer.  Ha!  I have been in kid mode for a long time!  When I can, though, I like to listen to strong singers—Martina McBride, Trisha Yearwood.  I also get bored easily.  I like to scroll through looking for something I haven’t heard before, I hang out on iTunes to hear what’s new.  I love to hear different styles of music fused together.

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?

My most powerful moments are in the creation process, not in front of an audience and not awards I have achieved.  I have written some songs in 20 minutes, and others have been painful to write and rewrite.  To me, there is nothing better than birthing a new song, and then watching it come alive in the recording process.  It’s the most fulfilling part of my process.

4.  Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to?   How much can music influence current events?

My heart is to change the world, one listener at a time.  I think what I am doing comes with responsibility, and I want to be proactive about what my purpose is.  I don’t think about changing the world as a whole, I think about each person who gains something when they hear my songs.  I share my heart and my life experiences in my music.  I’ve gone through a lot.  What good would it do me or my listeners if I wallow in self pity?  I’d rather focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, and help others out of their pit.  That’s what life should be about anyway.

5. How has technology affected the music industry?  How has technology affected your career as a musician?

It’s fun to have a home studio with amazing software like Ivory, Trillium, and Omnisphere…you can instantly get a feel for a song you’re writing.  But at the end of the day, I like to hear a great musician bring my song to life.  And I like to see what he or she brings to the mix.  Technology is great for instantly marketing your songs too.  Today we can reach the whole world at the click of a mouse.

6.  Now for my Barbara Walters question:  If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?

Ugg Flip Flops.  Comfortable.  Low maintenance; luxury, but not fussy, and never pretentious.  The name is quality and reputable.  There is a rich history behind them.  They use only the finest material, and the creative process takes patience and endurance.  There is a certain fashionable aspect, but only to those who choose to think outside the box.  Ugg Flip Flops do not follow in line with the trends, but make up their own trend. And most people do a double take when they see them—“interesting combination”, one might say.

No comments: