Monday, August 27, 2012

Simply Six: Shannon Haley


1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer. For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later. Is there such a defining moment for you?

I think I had a series of moments like these that built on themselves. The first one I can remember is when I was very young, probably around five years old because it was right around the time my parents were getting divorced, I was in the car with my mom with the windows down and we were singing at the top of our lungs to James Taylor. I remember having a feeling that I couldn't verbalize at the time, but I knew I felt connected to something deeper, almost spiritual. I knew I wanted to be singing with James, but just not from the car. This feeling has stuck with me and it's probably the reason that it seems to be literally impossible for me to walk away from making music. The other moment that sticks out for me is the first time I wrote a song. I was in 3rd grade and I felt like the song hit me from out of nowhere. I just started singing lyrics. Writing songs is one of the biggest parts of why I want to sing, and it is my main fuel.

2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to? Who are some of your favorites? 

I still don't go for longer than a week without listening to James. Right now I'm listening to Mary Chapin Carpenter's new album. My favorite go-to artist who I will never stop loving is Sheryl Crow. I also love The Script, The Fray, and the occasional country song from the 90s. 

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live? 

Right now I'm most excited about a song that I wrote for my duo project, "Haley & Michaels", with my friends Ryan Michaels and Tova Litvin. It was the first song that Ryan and I sat down to write together as a duo and I felt something really magical happen that day. I think one of the greatest moments for me as an artist was on stage at Hotel Cafe in Los Angeles when I finished  playing the song and realized that I had been completely gone, absolutely lost in it. It is so fun to get lost in a performance and that was a really special 4 minutes of my artist career. The song is called "The Price I Pay" and you can hear it at www.haleyandmichaels.com

4. Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to? How much can music influence current events? 
I know that music can change the world in the sense that it can change people, or help people. I think that changing the world would certainly have to begin there. I know this because music has helped me during some very difficult times in my life. I think that music gives people a chance to go somewhere emotionally that they might not be able to go themselves. Possibly to a place that they need to go. I think that it can help people open their minds and think about things in a new way, if the lyric or melody can provoke it. Music is a way to get messages out to people, so with regards to current events, I think that if you have the power to say something you believe in, it's something to take seriously. You never know who you might reach...

5. How has technology affected the music industry? How has technology affected your career as a musician?

In a certain way, technology has been incredible for me, as an independent artist. I can now make fans by putting songs up on the Internet, I can reach fans directly and communicate with them often, all over the world. So many doors have been opened because the internet has given us the reach. Even as a listener, I find new music I like all the time through music blogs or online stations. I like to say that in a certain way, the internet is turning the music industry into a democracy. It is giving people more of a chance to choose who they listen to, to a certain extent. It's hard not to be grateful. At the same time, music is so readily available that it's value has changed. A lot of people expect it to be free. The single song download is available so many people have stopped buying albums. As an artist trying to make a living, this can be a challenge. As a consumer, I guess it kind of depends what type of music lover you are. The good news is, it is still possible to buy albums, to pay for music, to respect it. 

6. Now for my Barbara Walters question: If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?

Aha! This requires me to know the names of shoes! Hmm, I would be a gray or brown leather boot with a zipper and sturdy heel. :)


No comments: