Thursday, February 7, 2013

Simply Six: La Catrin



1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer. For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later. Is there such a defining moment for you?  

Nope. Ever since I was a little wee one I've always known I was going to be a singer. When I was little, I was so obsessed with it that when my cousins would tell me to put a sock in it, I'd whisper sing to myself in a corner somewhere. Haha! I think for me it was a matter or becoming confident about putting myself out there.
 
2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to? Who are some of your favorites?

I really enjoy listening to classical music & soundtracks the most. If I listen to modern music, I prefer it to either be sensual, dark or have a symphonic twist to it, such as Active Child, Crystal Castles, Mew etc... Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths, At The Drive In, and lots and lots of Prince.

3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?

Holding my finished/packaged album in my hands. I didn't quite know what I was getting into and definitely challenged my perceived limitations. A lot of people didn't think I'd actually make an album, let alone have it be any good. I didn't have any money, but somehow it all worked out quite nicely. I think the stars lined up for me

4. Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to? How much can music influence current events? 
 
Music has the subtle ability to produce altered states of consciousness and is a mood enhancer. I guess it depends on the context in which it's used or what activity it is paired up with, especially where large groups gather. Most social change has been linked to music and art and vice versa. Just think about Bob Marley, John Lennon, and U2 who advocated positive social change and love, and at worst Adolf Hitler's obsession with Wagner which magnified his anti semitic views

5. How has technology affected the music industry? How has technology affected your career as a musician? 

Rise in digital media, social media, availability, new forms of making money off music sales, pirating... It's one big battlefield. It's easier to make albums, sometimes at the cost of sacrificing quality. There are plenty people who can't sing or play to save their lives making it "living the dream" with the help of technology. I still record analog so for me social media and being able to sell my music digitally have been the biggest advantages of getting my work out there, however you're still competing in an over saturated market so it's not like you can afford to slack off or anything like that.

6. Now for my Barbara Walters question: If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?

I would be a custom pair of Christian Louboutin stilettos dipped in Swarovski crystals with spikes. Boom!



No comments: