1. For many artists, they cite a defining moment for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer
. For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later. Is there such a defining moment for you?

JULIE:  YES I wanted to be the girl in Jesus CHrist Superstar who sang "I Don't Knoow How To Love Him" - I think her name was Yvonne Elliman.  Either that, or JUDAS from the same musical - when he would sing, "JEEEEEEEEESUS!!!!! in this CORD-RIPPING crazy scream."  I was never sure if I wanted to sing the Man Part or the Lady Part because my voice goes so LOW.  I actually TAUGHT myself "I don't know how to love him" and SANG it into the family tape recorder one day when I was 7 and my brother and his High School friends came and FOUND MY SECRET TAPE of PASSIONATE self-confession and ACHINGLY sincere 7-year-old love and I heard them playing it in the kitchen and laughing til their pants were wet.  THAT WAS THE ABRUPT END OF MY SINGING CAREER - in fact, I think I was mute from THEN until I finally started Living The Dream again at 40.

MARINA:  My mother was an opera singer, so when I was really little I used to imagine operas in my head and walk around the neighborhood singing.  I am also a bit embarrassed to admit that I REALLY loved The Carpenters and imagined myself as Karen.  But my earliest inspiration had to be the Beatles.  I used to love to trade off singing all the vocal parts, melodies and harmonies, and often wasn't sure which was which.  I was a big Monkees fan, as well :)  As for a defining moment or moments, I'd say it was any time I came across a song of such tremendous beauty or impact that there was no better way to get its particular message across other than by singing the song.  Songs in that category for me would include Ani Di Franco's "Sorry I Am" and Billy Joel's "And So It Goes."

EMIL: Singing solo in public was never in my playbook, and it still isn't. However, the most ecstatic joy I will ever likely experience is the singing I do every time I compose.


2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to?

JULIE:  Yesterday I listened to Antony and the Johnson's weird "Cut The World" (with Willem Dafoe in the video getting his throat cut) about 100 times.  I am like that.  When I love something I gorge on it.  Unfortunately, my sixteen year old was (unbeknownst to me) overhearing me and going Out of His MIND!!! (Not an Antony fan, I guess - go FIGURE!)  Anyway, I listen to a lot of Paste Magazine -type favorites -for new music.  I listen to ANYTHING someone else tells me they love. I LOVE other people's playlists.

MARINA:  I am grateful for JULIE's playlists!  I am a recent fan of Feist and her Metals CD. I am also ASTONISHED by the mulit-layered vocals of Imogen Heap ("Hide & Seek!").  I have also recently unearthed my collection of  classical CDs from storage and am excited to start introducing my favorite pieces to my twins.  

EMIL: Any one of the internet opera networks. A good aria slays me, turns me into a faucet. Without fail.

Who are some of your favorites?

JULIE: My own favorites - LOVE Heather Nova and want her to put out new music. Love Dave Matthews.  Imogen Heap.  
I also love Pop and will listen to Elli Goulding or Kelly Clarkson or some of the American Idol people even - especially when they do covers of great songs.
I think I"m really more of a SONG person - if the SONG is good and compelling and mysterious I will like the artist.

MARINA:  I think I've had Neil Young's "After The Gold Rush" in my CD player at home for months!  I love CSNY, Joni Mitchell, Sarah McLachlan but also U2, Keane, Coldplay.  I love harmonies in music, especially, and have to admit that I take in the music first, lyrics second.  I take the lyrics in more gradually.

EMIL: I sacrifice a fatted calf weekly on the altar of The White Album.


3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?

JULIE: Oh, DEFINITELY my finger cymbals playing on our first album.  FIRST rate.  I am an AWESOME finger cymbalist.
I love cymbolic things.
Okay, but seriously, I am very proud of my Spoken Word appearances with October Project - "I give good word"
and I am REALLY thrilled with my SINGING on UNCOVERED.  I started singing so LATE IN LIFE (see above traumatic experience from Question #1) that it is a true victory to be singing with as accomplished a vocalist as Marina and OMG WE HAVE ALMOST NO REVERB!!! HELP we are WAITING for some nice big fat REVERB on the album!! I am very proud of these "freckles and all" recordings.

MARINA:   Performing in Bali with Andreas Vollenweider was a peak moment, but I'd have to agree with Julie that I am especially excited about the Uncovered recordings.  If you want to know what we sound like, there is no better example than the songs on these two EPs.  Touring with Sarah McLachlan was also a peak experience, especially our first performance with her Penn's Landing in Philadelphia before 10,000 people or so.

EMIL: The string session for the first OP album. Incredibly moving, and I don't really know why.

 


4. Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to? How much can music influence current events?

JULIE: I think some  music DOES change the world and that is why certain religions and politicians have FORBIDDEN music.  Music is very powerful.
Music gives VALUE to so many other forms of art and commerce.  Music moves ideas.  
HOWEVER, SOMETIMES music is just there to make the day better!! for one person and HEY that just changes the world for one person, but One Person can be tremendously differetn from music and then effect MANY others.  

MARINA:  Music HAS changed the world!  I have been reading "This Is Your Brain On Music" which is filled with incredible information about how formative and significant music is to human beings.  Julie, Emil & I did a Workshop a few years back at the Omega Institute called "Good Vibrations" in which we explored the ways in which using the human voice to emanate sounds relieves stress, promotes well-being, and literally changes the 'vibe' in the room.  There is no question that music is VERY IMPORTANT and can have a positive, healing influence on both individuals and groups.

EMIL: Art changes the world, because it helps define the world -- and music still counts as art (despite all the music).


5. How has technology affected the music industry?

JULIE: It has completely changed the way we create, record, listen and share.  It has changed the landscape to be absolutely unrecognizable from its previous ways of being.  It has also changed the economics of music as a business, in some REALLY terrible ways for writers and some really POSITIVE ways by opening gateways of sharing music that didn't exist before.

MARINA:  Has there been a more rapid and dramatic transformation of an industry than what has happened to the music industry in the last few years? Napster appeared a dozen years ago and I-Tunes was launched ONLY FIVE YEARS AGO. While the rampage of unpaid sharing of music files begun by Napster was hard to stem, there seems to be an understanding now that one ought to pay for music at least SOMEWHERE along the line.

EMIL: It took an enormous shit into music industry's mouth, and killed it. But it was worth it, because now we have "Charlie Bit My Finger."


How has technology affected your career as a musician?

JULIE: So much more is possible - and in our own hands.  That is a good thing..
File sharing, however, has made it very difficult to make a living for writers.  So, for most if not all musicians, the idea of making money FROM MUSIC is challenging.
On the other hand, technology invites and facilitates creativity - so we just try and extend that creativity not only into the work itself but to how it will now move in the world.

MARINA:  Technology has been in the service of music for quite some time now. The move to the internet has made EVERYTHING accessible, but because there is so much music available there now, it is harder for any particular music to break through.  One very positive effect of the internet is that bands and records can have an infinite afterlife.  Even when physically absent for a period of time, one remains digitally ever-present.

EMIL: Imagine it's 1908, and you just spent your whole life apprenticing to become a blacksmith, and spent your life savings on an anvil and a furnace and a place to hammer, believing "There's always gonna be a demand for guys like us in world full of horses!" Then Robert Moog builds the Model T!




6. Now for my Barbara Walters question: If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?

JULIE: a pair of Manolo Blahnik high heels

MARINA:  white patent leather go-go boots

EMIL: Horseshoes.